If you're looking for an easy, nutrient-dense, TASTY breakfast option, I've got two words for you: OVERNIGHT OATS.
These make-ahead oats are life. changing. I mean it. They literally take 2 minutes to throw together and the flavor combinations you can make are endless. I have a few faves of my own, such as Banana Bread Chocolate Chip, Chocolate PB, and Strawberries n' Cream.
Now I have another ah-mazical combo to add to the list: APPLE PIE.
That's right, everything you love in an apple pie, thrown into a mason jar and left to sit overnight till it gets all creamy and delicious. AND it's healthy, so there's that. #yourewelcome
I know, you're probably salivating already, so I'll get right to it.
APPLE PIE OVERNIGHT OATS
Prep Time: 2 minutes
"Cook" Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 7 minutes
- 1/2 C rolled oats (I've been using a local brand - Pecan Point Farms - and LOVE the texture it gives the overnight oats. If you're in the Columbus/Phenix City area, you can find them at Market Days on Saturdays!)
- 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 C LifeWay organic unsweetened/plain kefir (for good gut health)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp lucuma powder (this adds a really nice caramel flavor to anything - you can buy it on Amazon for a great price)
- Optional: 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4-1/2 organic apple, diced
- a handful of Michele's Granola Apple Quinoa granola
- 1 Tbsp of Georgia Grinder's Cinnamon Vanilla Pecan Peanut Butter (all natural and SO delicious!)
- a dash or two more of cinnamon
- 1-2 scoops Vital Proteins grassfed collagen peptides (for an extra boost of complete protein)
Add the first list of ingredients into a mason jar (or sealable container) and shake/stir till well combined. Let sit, covered, in the fridge overnight (or at least 4 hours). When you're ready to eat them, stir in the collagen peptides and top with the rest of the ingredients. If you want to get a bit fancy (and have the time), you can quickly saute the diced apples in a little ghee (or cooking spray) with cinnamon. That just adds even more of an apple-pie feel.
These are usually served cold, but you're welcome to warm the oats for a few minutes if you'd like. I also enjoy eating them wearing leggings and boots while sipping on a homemade pumpkin spice almond milk latte. Yes, I know, I'm as basic as they come.