I've done it, you guys.
I've finished another round of the 7-day Sugar Detox. [pats self on back] This definitely wasn't my easiest challenge ever (as you'll see in my day-by-day summary), but it was effective! I can honestly say I feel I have 100% "detoxed" from sugar - and I couldn't be happier.
So I'm sure you're all wondering how my week really went. Let me lay it out for you day by day - the good, the bad, and the just downright miserable parts. Because, hey - I've always been honest with you guys, so why stop now? Amiright?!
- Day 1 (Monday): Cravings were minimal, but I was definitely sluggish. This could be due to the fact that it was Monday though - and my SUPER slow digestive tract. I was definitely bloated and my stomach just felt heavy.
- Day 2 (Tuesday): I worked that day and was NOT feelin' it that day. I was moody, exhausted, my workout stunk to high heavens, and wanted to munch on EVERYTHING - salty or sweet. I didn't care. I would've thought I was going to start my cycle if I didn't know better (TMI, I know - haha). I got through the day by grubbing on some plain rice cakes with PB powder (Crazy Richards' Pure PB, not PB Fit since it has a little added sugar) + cinnamon. And as far as the moodiness goes...I just tried to stay away from people as much as possible. HA!
- Day 3 (Wednesday): This day was a bit better as far as moodiness and binge tendancies go, but I was definitely still sluggish. Unfortunately, I tried to compensate with more coffee, which definitely didn't help my digestive tract situation. Ugh. I'm not even kidding - all of the extra sugar/fat had really done a number on me. I tried all sorts of natural remedies, but nothing seemed to be helping. Oh well, on to day 4!
- Day 4 (Thursday): My cravings had completely resolved, my blemishes on my face were gone, and my mood was on the mend. However, the OTHER issue was still hanging around. Meh. The bloating hadn't gone away yet and I felt like I had a brick in my belly (not fun). I tried more remedies (extra magnesium, extra probiotics, some senna at night time)...nada. **This is one of the reasons why you've got to listen to your body - it's telling you loud and clear when it doesn't like something! Some people can eat 100+ grams of sugar a day and not have any effects, but then others (like myself) can only eat small amount without having allllll these issues. So just because you see someone eating something on the regular on social media doesn't mean YOUR body will like it. YOU DO YOU and find out what your body DOES like. Ok, rant over. On to the next day!
- Day 5 (Friday): I worked again and it was a DOOZY. I had a headache most of the day, and was completely drained by the end of the day and didn't have an ounce of energy left to even attempt a workout. But I listened to my body, ate lots of good, nutrient-dense foods (didn't even crave sugar again - woohoo!), and RESTED once I got home. My stomach problems weren't any better - AGAIN.
- Day 6 (Saturday): My energy levels/mood were better throughout the day, and I was even able to get in a good leg/glute workout. WHOOP! The binge tendencies were still gone, buuuuut still having tummy problems.
- Day 7 (Sunday): Eureka! The last day of the challenge! I was a little sluggish in the beginning of the day, but I knew that was due to the digestive issues and not withdrawing from sugar. But PRAISE BABY JESUS - the issue FINALLY "resolved"! I felt like a brand new person. [cue happy dance and simultaneous jazz hands]
I know, that was quite a lot of potty talk (HAHA!). But I wanted to be totally honest with you guys, and that's the issue I dealt with the most! And trust me, your colon is seriously what keeps the rest of your body running well. If you don't have a clean colon, then it affects everything - your mood, mental clarity, energy levels, nervous system, and skin. So again, listen to your body, friends! If you can tell you've overdone it or that your body just doesn't like something (even in small amounts), then DO SOMETHING about it!
Ok, so in continuing with my full disclosure, here are some before/after pics for you guys. Now don't get me wrong. I'm NOT saying there's anything wrong with my body in the first pictures, so please don't think I'm saying that! I just wanted to show the difference (even if it's subtle to some of you) in my bloating/belly distention compared to now.
Well, how did YOU do?! Who finished with me and who is still trucking along?! I want to hear about your own challenges, so please share! (You can always email me if you don't wish to share your stories in the comments.) I hope that at least some of you joined in and feel the same relief I do. Sugar cravings, BE GONE!
Have a great week, babes!